Sunday, March 13, 2011

"To Suck It And See"...?

That's not a come on...nor is it the name of a questionably legal "spa"in the sketchy part of town. "To Suck It And See" is the name of the new Arctic Monkeys album that's going to be released on June 7th, 2011. Arctic Monkeys just revealed the release date, and the fact that they are making a new album, AND the new single, "Brick by Brick", in a very under-the-radar-but-still-cool-because-its-underground-and-sticks-to-their-roots kind of way. I love when new albums come out. I get really excited for a long time until it comes out, then I listen to it, and am usually disappointed for a while. But then I listen to it more, and start to like it, and validate my pre-release excitement. It's a really bad way to listen to new music, I know, but it works for me.

But the thing that has me most excited for this album is, no surprise here, the title. Because I'm all for artistic expression and blah blah blah, but I love a band that can just put things out there because they're funny or because they go against the acceptable norm (and no, I'm not talking about lady gaga wearing meat type stuff, that would fall under "artistic expression blah blah blah") but this is the band that put out an EP called "Who the Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys", who have managed to expand and grow while still keeping to their original roots, and who's observational lyrics basically narrate a typical night out in clubs/bars and make fun of everyone that takes everything too seriously. Don't know what I'm talking about? Listen to songs like "Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured", or "From the Ritz to the Rubble" and tell me that you've never had those type of experiences when going out on the weekend. So I'm excited for this album. I'm also excited for them to play at the House of Blues on May 19th (you should prob get tickets right now). I just wonder what the second meaning of the album title is...because knowing them, I'm sure it means something more than what it is?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook